What Project Are You Working On Today?

General Craft Chat that doesn't fit in any other area
tango
Crafter Craze New Member

Re: What Project Are You Working On Today?

KMO Studio wrote: February 9th, 2021, 8:38 am
tango wrote: February 8th, 2021, 10:35 pm Trying to figure out if I can work wood using my engineer's lathe, and whether I can get a duplicator attachment for it. The next step is to figure out if I can make chess pieces. Making a really nice chess board should be easy enough but without pieces it's only so much use. Perhaps an intermediate step would be to make pieces for checkers.
I hope you decide to make a chess set. That would be amazing if you could do it differently than other wood ones out there.
Initially I'll need to make a checkers set, to get used to working with wood on my lathe. Chess pieces are mostly easy enough in theory but I'm really not sure how I'd carve a knight in a way that wouldn't take me so long nobody would ever pay what I'd need to cover my labor.

It's times like this I think a CNC carver would be neat but it's a bit heavy to drop the fat end of $2000 on a cool doodad that might one day pay for itself.

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Tutor

tango wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:01 pm
tango wrote: February 8th, 2021, 10:35 pm Trying to figure out if I can work wood using my engineer's lathe, and whether I can get a duplicator attachment for it. The next step is to figure out if I can make chess pieces. Making a really nice chess board should be easy enough but without pieces it's only so much use. Perhaps an intermediate step would be to make pieces for checkers.
I hope you decide to make a chess set. That would be amazing if you could do it differently than other wood ones out there.
Initially I'll need to make a checkers set, to get used to working with wood on my lathe. Chess pieces are mostly easy enough in theory but I'm really not sure how I'd carve a knight in a way that wouldn't take me so long nobody would ever pay what I'd need to cover my labor.

It's times like this I think a CNC carver would be neat but it's a bit heavy to drop the fat end of $2000 on a cool doodad that might one day pay for itself.
Just a big K for knight? LOL KIDDING! You'll come up with something good though. Sometimes simple is actually best for design.

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Tutor

I finally got some more yarn to finish up a knitted pouch tote bag and it's turning out a lot larger than what I thought. I wish the craft magazine that had the pattern would have given dimensions or shown it next to something else for reference.

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Tutor

I'm working on creating my own crocheted version of the knitted pouch tote bag and will need testers to see if my pattern makes sense!

tango
Crafter Craze New Member

KMO Studio wrote: February 11th, 2021, 8:09 am

Just a big K for knight? LOL KIDDING! You'll come up with something good though. Sometimes simple is actually best for design.
I've got some ideas but figure I'll start with checkers to get the hand of cutting wood in my lathe. It's been a while since I used it at all, and all I've used it for this far is cutting brass and steel.

A big K would be kinda fun, but wouldn't fit too well with the ideas I have for the other pieces :)

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Tutor

tango wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 9:59 pm
KMO Studio wrote: February 11th, 2021, 8:09 am

I've got some ideas but figure I'll start with checkers to get the hand of cutting wood in my lathe. It's been a while since I used it at all, and all I've used it for this far is cutting brass and steel.

A big K would be kinda fun, but wouldn't fit too well with the ideas I have for the other pieces :)
What size were you thinking of making each piece?

tango
Crafter Craze New Member

The idea I have in my head is that the board will have squares 2" across, maybe slightly bigger. Then it will have a tapered edge. I'm not sure about a base to stop it all falling apart yet.

Checkers pieces would them be 1.5 - 2" across. Chess pieces, if I ever make it that far, will probably range from 2" tall for the pawns up to maybe 4" tall for the king and queen. I like the idea of having a cross on the top of the king but I'm not sure the best way to make them consistently, so may go for similar designs but making the king visibly taller than the queen. If I go that route maybe the king would stand more like 5" tall. I'd have to fiddle with the lathe to see what works.

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Tutor

I bought some really colorful yarn to make a baby blanket. I'm hoping to go through my book of patterns to come up with something I haven't done before (yet it easy).