Need Help with Outdoor Pet Barricade

Ask for help for a project, request patterns, materials, storage tips & post deals you find in stores and online
KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Elite

Need Help with Outdoor Pet Barricade

We have a rather large outdoor deck out back and I want to barricade the opening to the stairway without putting up a gate. Help me out with ideas?

I was thinking of using 2 large plastic planters, fill them with concrete and then stick wood posts into them and allow to dry. I'm not sure how I want to do the strapping to go across from one side to the other. I'd like it to be soft enough to push the two planters together when not in use and move out of the way. So maybe netting attached to the wood posts? Or 4 straps across? The dog I want to keep on the deck is a bulldog.

ZandraJoi
Crafter Craze Tutor

Re: Need Help with Outdoor Pet Barricade

If he's a bulldog, I take it he's not a jumper then so it won't have to be overly high. We block our cats from going upstairs (they are elderly, one is deaf) with a piece of plywood. It's not the most ideal thing as it's cumbersome for us humans. So I'm interested in this idea as well. Our cats aren't climbers either so it too doesn't need to be high.
Would the dog happen to chew thru that netting tho? Or try to paw at it to tear it? Our dog would! Unless it's a stronger material. Maybe look at Tractor Supply Stores & the like & see what kind of items they have. Actually, that's a good idea for us too lol

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Elite

ZandraJoi wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:01 pm If he's a bulldog, I take it he's not a jumper then so it won't have to be overly high. We block our cats from going upstairs (they are elderly, one is deaf) with a piece of plywood. It's not the most ideal thing as it's cumbersome for us humans. So I'm interested in this idea as well. Our cats aren't climbers either so it too doesn't need to be high.
Would the dog happen to chew thru that netting tho? Or try to paw at it to tear it? Our dog would! Unless it's a stronger material. Maybe look at Tractor Supply Stores & the like & see what kind of items they have. Actually, that's a good idea for us too lol
I think I came up with a solution. My daughter bought us a fireplace screen when we first moved in thinking we had an open fireplace but it's a gas enclosed one so we didn't need it. I kept it thinking it could be turned into something else and 7 years later I'm right. I'm going to use the fireplace screen and I bought two aluminum poles to attach to each side and then the poles will be put into concrete in small pots to help weigh everything down.

The bulldog won't jump and if we train her to not go near it she won't even try to push it out of the way. She's pretty good at listening to commands. We did a test run with her and had cinderblocks in buckets on both sides and she stayed away from it.

ZandraJoi
Crafter Craze Tutor

That's a great reuse idea for the fireplace screen. We've tried some different things ourselves but keep going back to the plywood. Another option we looked into was a kid or pet gate. But the springs were not ideal at the top of steps. We can't put it at the bottom as this house has metal poles on the side that the cats could just slip through. We'd have to redo those as well.
How is this idea working 2 months later?

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Elite

I actually forgot to post the pics of the final product! It's not as heavy as I thought with the concrete and the wind actually blew the thing down the steps!! But it survived and the concrete did not crack. The dog does not try to push it out of the way because she's really well behaved. I left the plastic ties on in case I want to disassemble it for winter storage. It bends to close a bit because it's a fireplace screen though but that might not be enough for storage.

ZandraJoi
Crafter Craze Tutor

Oh I love that you used metal dog bowls for the base! How quaint! If it blows down the steps again, could try to anchor it to your deck posts for added weight.