Do you enjoy interacting with people as you sell?

Any chat related to craft business, tips, requests, leads, where to host your site, etc
KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Professor

Do you enjoy interacting with people as you sell?

Do you enjoy interacting with people as you sell at craft shows/festivals or your own shop?

ZandraJoi
Crafter Craze Tutor

Re: Do you enjoy interacting with people as you sell?

While I haven't sold crafts, I do make lotion balms & lipglosses & have sold them at shows or our garage sales. I'm not a people person really, an introvert, but if I'm in my element talking 'bout something that's dear to me, I find I interact quite well.

tango
Crafter Craze New Member

Sometimes. A lot of people are really interesting but a few are just outright annoying.

When someone sees me selling photography and insists on showing me Every. Single. Photo. on their phone, most of which are badly exposed and badly focused, it can be a struggle not to ask them to please stop bothering me and go away. And then there are the ones who ask the price of something and act like they misheard it, like the guy who asked the price of my 17x11 print in a solid metal frame ($80), offered me a $20 and claimed he thought I said $18. Yeah, like you can even buy a junky Chinese made frame with no print at Walmart for that kind of money. But then he decided to act like I was the (expletive) for "charging so much". You know buddy, if you can't afford it just say so.

But for every one of those there are many of the kind of people who come by, look at stuff, buy something, and then come back at another craft show to buy some more.

I remember one year we did a few craft shows in the same place, with the same people at the next stand across. They were a really nice couple - she absolutely adored one of my prints in particular. Every single time she went for a walk, when she returned I'd be adjusting something drawing over-exaggerated attention to the print she liked. At the end of the final show of the season I had a single copy of the print left, so I offered her a huge discount on it and she practically took my hand off.

JoyFreak
Crafter Craze New Member

I love having conversation with people about crafting as a whole. It's good to learn about where they get their crafting materials, how they use it and what they like to craft. This gives me ideas to build on and craft something similar or better.

Teg
Crafter Craze New Member

In general, I enjoy interacting with people who like what I do. I honestly have never considered selling half of the stuff I make. It took me a long time to even charge for graphic and web design services. I mostly do crafting as a hobby. I do, however, sometimes help my niece who owns a candle and soap shop. I love all of her products and interacting with her customers both online and in person. There's just something about being able to read a person's body language and recognize the signs of things that they like to suggestive sell them the right product.