Wooden Cutting Boards

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Addict

Wooden Cutting Boards

My daughter made wood cutting boards for the family for Christmas and used a variety of wood types although I find that when I clean mine or put coconut oil on it that the red wood bleeds.

Does anyone else make cutting boards? Do you sell them?

tango
Crafter Craze New Member

Re: Wooden Cutting Boards

Not something I've done yet, but planning to as soon as I get organised enough to visit the sawmill to pick up some materials. Maybe I'll do some over Christmas.

The technique for making them isn't inherently difficult as far as I can tell - joining boards edge-to-edge is something I've done for other reasons, including a tricky join of a couple of boards barely 1/4" thick. It turned out I needn't have bothered with that one, I was trying to make an oversized face plate for light switches but managed to buy one that was big enough.

tango
Crafter Craze New Member

Forgot to say, my plan is to make them with hard maple and walnut so you get the stark contrast between very light and very dark, without having to deal with woods that are known to cause issues with absorbing stuff into the pores. I gather red oak is particularly bad for that, and got some confirmation of that when I was staining a windowsill I cut from a piece of red oak.

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Addict

tango wrote: December 19th, 2020, 9:23 pm Forgot to say, my plan is to make them with hard maple and walnut so you get the stark contrast between very light and very dark, without having to deal with woods that are known to cause issues with absorbing stuff into the pores. I gather red oak is particularly bad for that, and got some confirmation of that when I was staining a windowsill I cut from a piece of red oak.
The only thing I noticed from the different woods was that at first the red piece of wood (I don't know what kind it is) would bleed the color for the first five or six times of cleaning and adding more coconut oil on for sealing. It's good now that I use it more and more. There is no smell and the coconut oil really helps to seal it nicely although mineral oil does a better job.

tango
Crafter Craze New Member

Did you try using a different oil? I recovered a few old cutting boards that once belonged to my wife's grandmother - two were looking pretty sorry and one had broken along a join. I glued the broken one, gave all three a quick once-over with a sander to clean up the surfaces a little, then gave them all a good wash and dry before treating them with butcher's block oil. It runs about $10 for a pint or so - the first time you treat something it seems to soak up multiple coatings of the stuff but it turns out looking really nice.

I had planned to use tung oil but that's way more expensive. From what I can tell tung oil sets to provide a harder wearing surface so it lasts longer. You just have to be careful to get pure tung oil - you can get stuff that says tung oil on the can but isn't pure tung oil, and it's not food grade.

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Addict

tango wrote: December 31st, 2020, 3:20 pm Did you try using a different oil? I recovered a few old cutting boards that once belonged to my wife's grandmother - two were looking pretty sorry and one had broken along a join. I glued the broken one, gave all three a quick once-over with a sander to clean up the surfaces a little, then gave them all a good wash and dry before treating them with butcher's block oil. It runs about $10 for a pint or so - the first time you treat something it seems to soak up multiple coatings of the stuff but it turns out looking really nice.

I had planned to use tung oil but that's way more expensive. From what I can tell tung oil sets to provide a harder wearing surface so it lasts longer. You just have to be careful to get pure tung oil - you can get stuff that says tung oil on the can but isn't pure tung oil, and it's not food grade.
No, the only two I've tried are coconut oil and mineral oil and that's because we had both on hand and I didn't have to spend any more money. Plus I know they're both food safe.

Nova
Crafter Craze Student

I recently got one such board which is purely in while yellow color. And the overall look and feel of such board is pretty good and also gets clean easily.

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Addict

Nova wrote: July 1st, 2022, 6:26 am I recently got one such board which is purely in while yellow color. And the overall look and feel of such board is pretty good and also gets clean easily.
Have you noticed any smell with yours? I find from time to time I have to put a baking soda paste across the top to eliminate smells. Then I rinse it off and put coconut oil on the top.

ZandraJoi
Crafter Craze Professor

@KMO Studio @tango @Nova
Lemon juice can be great for smells. Mixed with baking soda or on its own. Can also cut half a lemon & use it as a scouring pad with salt.
I have never made a wooden cutting board. They are actually better than plastic ones as you don't get the microplastics that can flake off. But finding one is hard unless you go to a Resale shop. Making one, I wonder how extensive it is. Anybody try their hand at it yet? What types of wood do you recommend?

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Addict

ZandraJoi wrote: July 13th, 2022, 10:16 am @KMO Studio @tango @Nova
Lemon juice can be great for smells. Mixed with baking soda or on its own. Can also cut half a lemon & use it as a scouring pad with salt.
I have never made a wooden cutting board. They are actually better than plastic ones as you don't get the microplastics that can flake off. But finding one is hard unless you go to a Resale shop. Making one, I wonder how extensive it is. Anybody try their hand at it yet? What types of wood do you recommend?
My daughter makes them and they're easy she says. She likes to use all different colors of wood. The cherry wood bleeds though when it gets wet!