Repairing clothes...?

JennyorAlice
Crafter Craze New Member

Repairing clothes...?

How often do you find yourself darning something, whether it's your own clothes or for someone else?

I've fixed a few shirts for one of my hubby's friends. He doesn't know how to sew and I think he probably feels it's easier to have someone fix it for him as opposed to learning to sew himself. Anyway, he brings be his shirts over for me to fix because he likes his shirts so much that he doesn't want to buy new clothes to replace them.

Napkin Head
Crafter Craze New Member

Re: Repairing clothes...?

My ex-wife did a few t-shirt repairs and take ins for me whilst we were still married.. I hate buying clothes at the best of times, so if something can be repaired it's a definite win.

Since separating, my mother-in-law has kindly repaired a couple of ties for me that came unstitched at the bottom. I'm pretty sure the cats used them as a toy.. :evil:
Umbrella Online
A Resident Evil and survival horror gaming fan community.

Alexander
Crafter Craze Handmade

Well, I'm not really that good at repairing clothes, to be completely honest with you. I tend to ask my mum to stitch and sew something up for me. It saves me a lot of money, not having to buy new clothes.

Cumulus
Crafter Craze New Member

I normally repair my more formal clothes like shirts and blazers and then tend to buy replacements for things like t-shirts and polo shirts. I would say I normally repair clothes maybe every few months or so. It does save money and is quite rewarding to fix something myself!

Alexander
Crafter Craze Handmade

Cumulus wrote: January 24th, 2021, 8:41 am I normally repair my more formal clothes like shirts and blazers and then tend to buy replacements for t-shirts and polo shirts. I would say I normally repair clothes maybe every few months or so. It does save money and is quite rewarding to fix something myself!
Sometimes clothes are beyond repair, or the repair implemented would only be a temporary measure and would soon come apart. Buying replacements occasionally is the best way forward. But I agree, if something can be repaired, it will save us a lot of money in the long run.

ZandraJoi
Crafter Craze Tutor

We use them until we can't do any repairing then they are cut up as rags. It's a good way to be eco-friendly AND save money! Plus, sometimes it's just hard to find clothes you like, that fit good, etc.

Kokushibo
Crafter Craze New Member

I wish I knew how to sew so I can repair some of my clothes as I normally would have to take it to my grandmother so she can do it as she enjoys doing sewing but I never actually learned how to even when I took the class in middle school.

Claraviolet
Crafter Craze Handmade

I am not at all good with sewing. However I do try to repair stuff like nightwear and such.

When it comes to other clothes, I try to approach either some professional or I try to replace that with a new one. I do want to learn sewing but I don't have much free time on my hands.
I have changed my job recently and it's been really hectic but I do plan to practice my sewing skills this year.

Ash
Crafter Craze Student

My mum used to do this for my blazers or trousers when I was in high school but only for small rips. It's not something I bother with right now, to be honest.