Reusable Shopping Bag Review

Reviews of patterns, tutorials, other projects, materials, supply sites/stores, etc
KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Elite

Reusable Shopping Bag Review

I am seeing more and more areas banning plastic bags so I thought I'd get a jump on making market tote bags. I wanted the ones that could be put into the washing machine so this pattern worked out well.

I recently acquired a LOT of curtains and the fabric is perfect for making these. It took me 2 hours and I had to check the video twice to try to figure out what I needed to do.

It's a really simplistic look and the things I like about the pattern is that it was easier than some other patterns. I'll be able to make an assembly line to sew multiples at once without losing my way.

The things I didn't like about the pattern is that it's not as sophisticated looking as some other patterns. But that's probably the point...I mean, it's just a shopping bag.

I didn't add the stabilizer to the bottom and instead I sewed a little of the liner fabric to make a pocket and inserted a piece of cardboard to fit the bottom of the bag. That should help give it some stability and I left one side open so that it can be easily removed and then all the fabric can be washed and dried.

YouTube Video tutorial:

Written Instructions:
https://www.onlinefabricstore.com/maker ... ping-bags/

Rating: B+
Pattern ease: B
Did it turn out like the photo from the website? Yes
What did I like about the pattern? There weren't a lot of pieces to cut apart so that made sewing faster.
Would I recommend it to others? Yes, because plastic bags are being discontinued in some areas and these are the perfect size.
Cost of pattern: FREE
Cost to make project: Free for me since I had all the supplies at home.

ZandraJoi
Crafter Craze Professor

Re: Reusable Shopping Bag Review

Very nice! What a great way to reuse :) What I've done to flimsy canvas bags is cut a piece of thick cardboard & fit it to the bottom. Nothing like having the bag topple over lol

KMO Studio
Crafter Craze Elite

Re: Reusable Shopping Bag Review

ZandraJoi wrote: May 25th, 2022, 11:02 am Very nice! What a great way to reuse :) What I've done to flimsy canvas bags is cut a piece of thick cardboard & fit it to the bottom. Nothing like having the bag topple over lol
I have added cardboard to the bottom and sewed up an insert to put it in. I read that Foam Core board is also good for bottoms!